The carbon fee helps all of us

Opinion: Letters To The Editor

Thanks for running the One View article by Mark Reed endorsing the concept of the carbon fee and dividend to push people toward reducing their carbon footprints.

I would like to point out that the Energy Innovation and Carbon Dividend Act, which Reed and I support, is designed to be attractive to both liberals and conservatives. It relies on a market to reduce greenhouse gases by charging the fossil fuel producers. And when the money is redistributed in equal shares, those who use less, mostly poorer people, will come out ahead. But all of us will benefit from huge reductions in greenhouse gas emissions.

Doug Burke

Oak Park

Reader Comments

10 Comments - Add Your Comment

Note: This page requires you to login with Facebook to comment.

Comment Policy

Ray Simpson

Posted: January 25th, 2019 5:05 PM

@ Alex - Roughshod was 30 years ago when the south end of Lake Michigan was a rust red color and the Tribune had a pollution index on the front page. Pollution and climate change are two different animals - we can influence one but I am skeptical of the other. When politicians figure out how to tax something be wary be very wary. We are about to see how draconian state government can be. I suspect the definition of filthy rich will be anyone not on welfare.

Alex Garcia

Posted: January 25th, 2019 4:21 PM

@ Ray Simpson: It's also highly likely that we've living in a warm period between ice ages. I certainly don't think that probability gives humanity carte blanche to run roughshod over the environment. However, to your point, there are natural forces at play larger than any of us.

Ray Simpson

Posted: January 25th, 2019 1:03 PM

@ Michael O'Malley - I am working my way through "Dark Winter" by former space shuttle engineer John Casey who, while not a climate professional addresses Climate Change from an engineer's perspective. He has put much of the solar cycle research together and has determined that we are entering a 206 year cycle of reduced sun spot activity that will create problems for life on earth. He claims that greenhouse gasses have zero impact on the global picture`. This book is only 45 pages for his theory and over 100 pages of references, data and the notes he developed in his theory. He paints a dire scenario that is entirely beyond our control. Just another point of view!

Sean OMalley

Posted: January 24th, 2019 12:46 PM

I knew that girlfriend, she dodged a bullet.....

Michael O'Malley

Posted: January 23rd, 2019 9:14 PM

I read Atlas Shrugged, at the urging of an old girlfriend. It really sucked and we split up soon thereafter. I thought she was a feminist. Turns out she had crappy taste and was a fascist. I don't think she ever knew.

Ray Simpson

Posted: January 23rd, 2019 4:10 PM

@ Neal " the sky is falling the sky is falling" quick send some money to the government - we all know they will use it intelligently and solve the problem until they need more money!

Neal Buer from Oak Park

Posted: January 23rd, 2019 2:53 PM

Your letter sounds like it is straight out of "Atlas Shrugged". Conservatives that I know of do not favor redistribution of wealth. What am I missing?

Ray Simpson

Posted: January 23rd, 2019 2:47 PM

I question whether "Greenhouse Gases are doing anything. We see all of these dire predictions that never happen. Perhaps we need some honesty in the whole climate change issue and a whole lot less solutions to a problem that may not exist. You start talking about "redistribution of wealth" and we now have a political issue not a scientific one.

Michael O'Malley

Posted: January 23rd, 2019 10:29 AM

Why don't we all just sit on our hands and rail at the "progressives." The free market will get us out of all this. Is that what your saying, Mr. Simpson?

Ray Simpson

Posted: January 23rd, 2019 9:29 AM

More progressive Claptrap" You want to take largess from earners and give it to non-earners. Private industry can do it if it is practical - and at a profit https://qz.com/1292891/net-powers-has-successfully-fired-up-its-zero-emissions-fossil-fuel-power-plant/

Facebook Connect

Answer Book 2018

To view the full print edition of the Wednesday Journal 2018 Answer Book, please click here.

Quick Links

Sign-up to get the latest news updates for Oak Park and River Forest.

MultimediaContact us